Fireworks Regulations

The Fireworks Ordinance follows the Pennsylvania Fireworks Law in defining two types of fireworks and where and how they may be discharged: Consumer Fireworks and Display Fireworks.

Consumer Fireworks

Any fireworks meeting the definition of “Consumer Fireworks” under Section 2401 of the Tax Reform Code at 1971, 72 P.S. § 9401 as amended. Consumer Fireworks include firecrackers, roman candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material. The term does not include ground or hand-held sparkling devices, novelties or toy caps.

  • Consumer Fireworks Permit -required to discharge Consumer Fireworks. Click FORM for a printable copy of the permit application form. A summary of the regulations for discharging Consumer Fireworks will be found on page 2 of the application form, or you can view the requirements in the Ordinance by clicking ORDINANCE.

Display Fireworks

Large fireworks as defined in Section 2401 of the Tax Reform Code at 1971, 72 P.S. § 9401 as amended. Display Fireworks are classified as including salutes that contain more than 2 grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions.

  • A permit is also required to discharge Display Fireworks. There is no specific application form. Instead, the requirements to request a permit are listed in Section 4 of the Fireworks Ordinance. The applicant can request a permit by letter and include any attachments that may be needed to provide all the information required by Section 4 of the Ordinance.